Want to know how to get your kids to have a love of the outdoors? Show them what that looks like by enjoying it yourself! Small children look up to their parents like rock stars. Have you noticed they want to be just like you? They are probably even saying things the way you say them! Here is a list of 10 things you can do with your kids to bond, grow and get outside together this summer!
1. Plant, grow and eat your own vegetables. Kids have such a natural interest in how stuff grows. Your picky eater may just try that cucumber he grew in the garden! If you haven't already gotten on this it isn't too late! Go to home depot and get plants that area already flowering. Seriously, you will look like Martha Stewart.
2. Get out those hose, water ballons and the sprinklers- Make sure you get in there yourself. Kids have so much fun seeing you be silly. And seriously what an awesome way to cool down on a hot day!
3. Go out for breakfast in your PJ's. You're up at 6 anyways, why not make a fun adventure of going out for breakfast in your Jammies, your kids will remember it forever!
4. Read to your kids about nature, then go out and find it! If you find a weird spider, capture it on your phone and look it up later. Show your children how to use a computer to search for credible information.
5. Take off their shoes! Explore all those different textures with your toes (sand, dirt, mud, grass, burnt grass!, water etc). There is no better way to learn than through experience.
6. Marvel at the sunset or the sunrise. Plan a date where you will either stay up late or get up early to watch the sun set or rise. Document your findings!
7. Wake them up at midnight to see the full moon and eat a fresh batch of corn. Seriously, this was something we did at summer camp and I absolutely adored. It has stuck in my memory for over 30 years cause it was so unusual and fun!
8. Make a fairy/gnome garden- Last summer we bought bird houses from the dollar store and painted them crazy colours to start a ferry garden. We added stone pathways between the houses and found lots of fun little additions as the summer went on.
9. Make a nature craft- You don't have to be crafty to do this! Kids are naturally crafty and will show YOU how to make something out of their findings. Provide glue and paper and see what they create with what you found! If you are really stuck, paint a rock for a "rock buddy" See? Easy!
10. Let your kids roam! Let them use free time and discover open ended play! This isn't about being neglectful or lazy. Give your kids the tools and TIME they need to decompress from their hectic school days and recharge their batteries. Often when left to their own devices, the most imaginative, creative, fun play happens!
Have a safe, fun, hot, wet, gluey, magical, messy, lazy, summer everyone!
#summer #outdoors #kids #activities